JOB TITLE: Instructional Designer
The Adler School of Professional Psychology, founded in 1952, is the oldest independent school of psychology in North America. The School provides graduate education in psychology and health service delivery with campuses in the heart of downtown Chicago and downtown Vancouver. Program offerings include an APA-accredited clinical psychology program and five Master’s Degree programs at its Chicago location and a Master of Arts in Counseling at its Vancouver location. The Adler School is committed to continuing the pioneering work of its namesake, Alfred Adler. As part of that commitment, the School graduates socially responsible practitioners, engages in communities, and advances social justice.
The Adler School is a value-centered and growing institution that is seeking an Instructional Designer to join Adler Online.
Responsibilities of the Instructional Designer include:
The Instructional Designer will report to the Director of Adler Online. This individual is responsible for collaborating with faculty and staff members to design, develop, support and implement courses and multimedia offered through Moodle. The Instructional Designer will provide support for the instructional design cycle by designing, developing, supporting and implementing instructional and multimedia strategies; selecting appropriate technology tools; assessing the effectiveness of the technology tools; training faculty, and coordinating course administration.
Might have to work during weekends to provide remote support services to faculty and students.
Applicants must have a Master’s degree in, or related to, Instructional Design, Instructional Technology, Educational Technology, Curriculum and Instruction, or demonstrated evidence of professional work for more than two years as an Instructional Designer in an online environment as well as the following competencies, and experience.
- Advance experience in all phases of instructional design (analysis, design, development, implementation, and evaluation).
- Experience supporting and assisting faculty with design and redesign of online and blended courses.
- Experience in course management system such as Moodle.
- Experience in using Web 2.0 applications such as blogs, wikis, and social networking.
- Demonstrated experience working with multimedia applications and webinars tools such as: Captivate, Camtasia, Photoshop, WebEx, Wimba, Eliminate, etc.
- Experience applying Quality Matters standards to course design.
- Awareness of accessibility issues and use of assistive technologies in course design.
- Online teaching experience preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal and group communication skills.
- Strong writing and editing skills.
- Advanced project management and presentation skills.
- Advanced skills in content design and development tools.
- Excellent organizational skills.
A particular commitment of the School, rooted in Adler's emphasis on social interest, is training psychologists to work with marginalized and underserved populations and who are committed to social justice. Candidates with particular interest in this mission and with demonstrated experience in these areas are preferred.
Must pass a pre-employment background check
- Provide instructional support for courses offered by Adler Online.
- Design, develop and support online and hybrid courses using Quality Matters standards; collaborate with Adler Online office to assess the courses.
- Coordinate with Multimedia Developer to design multimedia and interactive course components, such as videos, podcast, webcasts, interactive learning modules etc.
- Assist faculty members in learning, and adopting effective instructional strategies and technological tools to enhance their courses.
- Plan, prepare, assist, and teach faculty development seminars.
- Contribute and/or coordinate the design and development of online resources to promote effective instruction among faculty members and students.
- Work with faculty and team members to experiment with emerging instructional design methodologies, education technologies, teaching strategies, and conduct research on effective use of these technologies and strategies.
- Review, delegate, and respond to Adler Online support work orders from faculty, staff, and students.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
To apply, please click here.